SC - cooking without fire, among others

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Feb 9 22:55:49 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Ian says:
>     1.  Is _that_ what golden raisins are?  I'd been wondering.  Anne-
> Marie, did you say that a US stick of butter is about 1/4 lb?  Also,
> what is half and half?  I've heard of an alcoholic one (no idea what
> the 1:1 ingredients are though) but don't think that fits for the
> Digby recipe.

Is what what golden raisens are? They're just shrivelled up white grapes
instead of purple is all. Seems as likely a sub as any, and I much prefer
the color, taste and texture. Yes, a US stick of butter is 1/4 pound. oops!
I forget that we have friends from all over here. :)

Half and half is indeed cream and milk. Not to be confused with an "arf 'n'
arf" which is what you get at the local Irish pub The Kells where they
dribble the lager in on top of the guiness, or is the other way aruond?.
The dairy product is the type of cream that you buy here that is not as
stiff as heavy whipping cream, but has more butterfat in it that regular
milk. regular store milk is 4%, I believe half and half is about 6-8%?

- --Anne-Marie, who grew up on 12% butterfat milk.