SC - egg & breadcrumb coating

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sat Feb 14 10:13:37 PST 1998

Cindy Renfrow wrote:

> > Hello!  Dipping food in egg & breadcrumbs, & then frying - does anyone know
> > when & where this method originated?

And Charles Ragnar replied:
> I have a recipe which says to do it toslices of eggplant. It is middle
> eastern, but I don't recall the source. (Cariadoc, does it ring a
> bell?)
> Actually the breadcrumbs (or was it meant to be toasted flour) are mixed
> wiyh sugar and spice first, and the product is fantastic.

The same "Stuffed Eggplants" recipe I mentioned a few minutes ago, which
appears in my T.I. article on Andalusian cooking, is perhaps the one Charles
is thinking of.  "Stuffed" was my literal translation of a word in the
title, but in this and many other recipes from the same source it clearly
means "coated with seasoned batter".

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu