SC - Re: Eggplant follow-up

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sat Feb 14 10:35:32 PST 1998

Someone wrote:

> << setting
>  >fire on top. >>

Ras asked:

Adamantius said:
>Could be. Alternately (and this is my own personal interpretation) you
>could use the old fireplace-shovel, or equivalent, run across the top
>of the dish, with the coals in that. One of the things that leads me
>to question the Dutch-oven concept is simply the fact that I haven't
>seen anything like a casserole with a flanged cover among the various
>drawings, etc., of Islamic cooking utensils.

And Alys Katherine pointed out:
> This technique, however, is used periodically in the Moorish
> (Andalusian) recipes in Cariadoc's Collection.  If memory serves, the
> pot's lid was placed on top and coals were put on top of that.  It
> would sort of presume a flat lid, although one could probably use a
> tripod arrangement with the pot below and a flat "plate" above, on the
> tripod, with coals on the "plate".

(Everybody got that straight?  Good.)
I would further point out that the technique is used in two of the
"Jewish" dishes in my previous message.  I asked Yaakov about this, and
he explained that broiling is one of the legal means of koshering meat,
especially organ meats like liver.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu