SC - Bogracsgulyas OOP (and Galushka)

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sat Feb 14 10:57:53 PST 1998

OK here is the second recipe I promised plus a bonus recipe. ..

Bograscgulyas

11/2 cups chopped onion
2 level Tablespoons unsalted butter or lard
2 lbs stewing beef, cubed
1 clove garlic
salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 Tablsespoons sweet rose or noble rose paprika (medium to medium hot)
1 tomato, peeled and quartered
2 green peppers, de-seeded and sliced
1/4 lb. potatoes, peeled and cubed

Melt the butter or lard in a thick pan ans cook onions until soft.  add beef
and stir over low heat for about 10 minutes, gently browning onions and meat.
Crush garlic with a little salt, together with the caraway seeds.  Add to the
meat and onions.Remove from heat, stir in paprika, and add tomato.  return pan
to heat and add 4 1/2 pints of warm water, a little at a time. Cover with lid
, bring to a boil, and simmer gently for 1-1 1/2 hours, depending on the cut o
meat and the size of the pieces.  Add green peppers, potatoes, and  a pinch of
salt to the pan.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minute, until the potatoes
are tender.

While waiting, prepare. . .

Galushka

1 egg
salt
3 heaping Tablespoons flour

break the egg into a small bowl, add a pinch of salt, and whisk lightly with a
fork.  Add flour to make a fairly smooth paste..  Using a teaspoon , scoop out
small quantities of the paste (about 1/4 teaspoon) and drop into hot soup or
stew, dipping the spoon into the hot liquid to releas the little dumplings.
they take only 2-3 minutes to cook and rise to the top when done.

Add galushka to the gulyas in the last 5-10 mintues of cooking, then serve.

Both of these recipies cam from _A Little Hungarian Cookbook_ by Gretel Beer.
I have three different versions of Bograscgulyas, this is my favorite.

This a great stew and really can have any number of other vegetables added to
it.  I've added carrots and beans before.  It also freezes well

A historical note.  I have read that Bograscgulyas is the oldest Hungarian
recipe, having bee brought into the region when the Magyars arrived in 895.
Based on the ingredients I doubt this, but a similar hearty beef stew may have
been common.