SC - Re: Sultanas & Sugar

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 16 07:07:32 PST 1998

Greetings! Kiriel wrote:

>Oh, and many European recipes which call for sugar, actually
>would have used beet sugar, rather than cane. I understand
>that beets are still the most used source of sweetner in England,
>corn in the US, and cane sugar in Australia.

As a long-time consumer of sugar in the U.S.(!), most of the sugar used
in the homes here is "cane sugar".  Corn might be used commercially as
in the product "corn syrup" but certainly isn't used all that much in
home baking, being a liquid rather than a solid.  It, however, appears
to be a prime ingredient in many manufactured products.  'Course, you
couldn't make a good pecan pie or pumpkin pie without corn syrup...

Alys Katharine, whose body is a testament to the corrupting power of
sugar