SC - Re: [EK] IMPORTANT WARNING

Julien de Montfort julien at spiaggia.org
Mon Feb 16 09:34:34 PST 1998

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> :  Thanks to Nrthnstar for this latest updated list.
> :
> :  Received 11/15
> :  The following people have sent mail bombs and trojan horses to variouas
> AOL
> : members. Please pass their names on, and if you receive any mail from the
> : people on this list PLEASE forward it to TOSemail1. Thank You A TROJAN

<much stuff snipped>

While I appreciate the poster's concern to get information out
about what may be seen as a threat, please, please: before information
such as this is redistributed, check it out first.  Much of it is
AOL-specific, and has no need to be sent out to non-AOL maling lists.

Other information, such as the warning about the "Join the Crew" and
"Penpal Greetings" emails, are well-known internet hoaxes that have
been passed around for years in one guise or the other (remember
"Good Times"?).

For more information on these and other internet hoaxes, I'd suggest
interested partties either check out the alt.folklore.urban newsgroup
or their excellent website located at http://www.urbanlegends.com.

Thanks,
Julien

FWIW, however, the part about being leery of attachments with email
should be heeded -- always be suspicious of attachments sent to you by
persons unknown...

Seigneur Julien de Montfort de Bourgogne       "Pean, tres amphorae et
Ministre de Toille                           un caid palissade argent"
Canton de Spiaggia Levantina            Solum Dice Nullus Sunt Suficio
de la Baronnie des Coteaux Brillant                julien at spiaggia.org
de le Royaume d'Atlantia                       http://www.spiaggia.org