SC - King's taste - LONG RANT

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 07:33:30 PST 1998

In a message dated 2/17/98 2:00:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:

<<...<snip>...said he was on this list and wanted to publish a collection
 of two to three hundred recipes and sell them at events for the education
 of the population of the SCA. >>

Commendable, indeed.  I would have been in the front of the line to purchase
such a collection.

<< all recipes are copyrighted by the person that posts them >>

Technically correct but there are subtle differences with recipes (plural)
according to Llewellyn Press which I will expand further upon later in this
post.

<<when he contacted someone on the list for permission ....he was
 told....that he would ......have his rear end sued .......>>

This statement made by whoever made it is nothing more than silly posturing
and smacks not a little bit of dishonorable behavior and a overinflated since
of self-importance.  Since the entire purpose of the SCA is research and
EDUCATION, I would seriously question the motive of an individual who refused
permission to allow their work to be included in a collection of recipes meant
to disseminate this information to the members of the SCA.  The accompanying
threats were entirely out of line.  A simple thank-you for having been offered
the HONOR of having their works included in the collection and an indication
that they must regretfully decline the offer at this time would have been far
more in keeping with the courtesy we are all required to display in the SCA.
If the offensive person is not a member of the SCA we can sigh in relief.

<< ..even possession of them was a violation of the copyright laws.>>

Possession of recipes , writings or anything else posted to this list is not
in any way a violation of any known copyright laws. Possession of such
material is within the range of fair use clauses and does not constitute
infringement. If anyone has told you otherwise they are a blatant bald-faced
liar.

<<he destroyed everything he had,>>

<sigh> Mores the pity! Since there was no need to do so. I have copies of
every recipe ever posted to this list on disc and will continue to save the
same. Lleweelyn Publishers assure me that individual recipes are not
considered copyrightable material for the simple fact that use of one recipe
from a collection in another work is well within the range of fair use.. For
instance, if I take a recipe and package all the ingredients in an instant
dinner version and include the recipe on the package with the original source
info, it is not copyright infringement.

<<quit the list,>>

How sad that the obnoxious behaviour of one butthead could have any effect on
a thinking person.

<<and was ejected from his household for destroying the collection that many
of his
 friends wanted. He is thinking of leaving the SCA permanently.>>

How sad. :-(  Hopefully, he made two copies and will find where he put the
other one. If not I will under fair use clauses of the copyright laws be more
than happy to provide him with any materials I can to use for educational
purposes within his household.  Please pass this info on to him and have him
contact me if he is interested.

<< And, no, he refused to say who on the list he had talked to.>>

More the pity for not revealing the primadonna's name so he/she could receive
the censure and public scorn they so richly deserve.

ANYONE WISHING TO USE MY RECIPES AS PUBLISHED TO THIS LIST HAS MY FULL
PERMISSION TO DO SO PROVIDED I AM GIVEN CREDIT FOR MY WORK AND ON THE
CONDITION THAT I RECIEVE A COPY OF THE WORK THAT IT IS PUBLISHED IN AND
PROVIDED I AM INFORMED OF SUCH USE BEFORE PUBLICATION.  PERMISSION TO USE MY
WORK IN EDUCATIONAL PUBLICATIONS, CLASSROOM HANDOUTS, AND ANY OTHER
EDUCATIONAL USE IS GRANTED WITHOUT RESTRICTION.

 <<Korrin S. DaArdain >>

IN SERVICE TO THE DREAM,

al-Sayyid Ras al-Zib, AoA, OSyc
Mountain Confederation