SC - Almond Cookies

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Feb 17 12:11:53 PST 1998

At 10:15 PM +1100 2/17/98, Meliora & Drake wrote:
>At 12:46 PM 16/02/98 -0800, Rebecca Tants wrote:
>
>>The only completely non-period item (we'll skip lemonade for the moment)
>>was the Almond Cookies.  They were AWESOME, but came from a nice Italian
>>cookbook I have and can't be dated to prior then the turn of the century.
>>They were, however, inexpensive, yummy and a good solution as I got
>>frantic.  (Recipe for those is 11oz almonds, 1c plus 3T sugar, 1/2 t
>>vanilla, 4 egg whites, pinch of salt.  Beat egg whites and salt to stiff
>>peaks, process almonds and sugar together.  Fold almonds/sugar and vanilla
>>into the egg whites, bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes on greased cookie
>>sheet.  YUMYUMYUMYUMYUM)
>
>Hi Rebecca,
>
>There is a similar recipe in Elinor Fettiplace (1602 - so is definately
>renaissance not medieval) which follows:
>
>To make french biskit bread

Wouldn't the Fettiplace recipe give a much solider result, since there is
no "beat egg whites to stiff and fold in" step--the egg whites are beaten,
then everything is beaten together? I haven't done this, but Prince's
biscuit, somewhat similar but with flour and roughly contemporary, is much
harder than I would expect the almond cookies to be.

When you did it, how hard did the biskit bread turn out?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/