SC - copyright discussion

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Feb 17 12:45:21 PST 1998

At 12:21 PM -0500 2/17/98, marilyn traber wrote:
>Having zipped over to check out the Miscellaney, and considering the
>original post, and several subsequent posts, would there be any problem with
>publishing a collection of recipes if
>1- attribution was made for the sources, and copies sent where possible to
>the originating authors
>2- it were published in the form of a how-to booklet

Yes. Such a publication would be arguably a violation of copyright law. I
think the chances of being sued are very low. Whether you would lose such a
suit would depend on the court's interpretation of the very fuzzy
definition of "fair use" in the copyright act.

What I would recommend doing is asking the originating authors for their
permission. In the case of the _Miscellany_ you already have it, since
there is a broad permission (provided you give credit, don't change
anything, and aren't operating on a commercial scale) at the beginning of
the book.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/