SC - King's taste comments

Louise Sugar dragonfyr at tycho.com
Tue Feb 17 13:55:01 PST 1998

>You are responding to a third hand account as if it were fact. A tells B
>something about copyright law. B tells C. C tells you. You attack A ("this
>person" in your response, probably me). For what A (if I am correctly
>identifying the exchange) actually said, see the bottom of this post.

My lord, I was making a comment in general not aimed at any specific person
since no specific person was named.  A comment upon a comment since I have
no first hand knowledge of the exchange between party A and party B

>To answer your question, copyright covers expression not idea. Hence a
>particular recipe is copyright in the same sense as a particular book. The
>underlying idea--scrambling an egg or boy meets girl--is not protected by
>copyright.
>
>I can assure you that if you publish a book which reproduces verbatim a
>large number of recipes from someone else's in copyright cookbook, without
>permission, you are in violation of copyright law and are quite likely to
>get sued. One recipe is not so clear, because the definition of "fair use"
>in copyright law is rather imprecise and the amount copied is one of the
>criteria.
>
>In any case, copyright law has nothing to do with your using the recipe,
>only with your copying it.

>From what I gathered the gentle who wanted to publish the collected recipies
was not copying a cookbook verbatim but was talking about publishing a
collection of recipies gleaned fom the list, etc over a period of time.  I
am an author and editor...I am familiar with copywrite.

>Ras writes, on the same topic:
>
>>This statement made by whoever made it is nothing more than silly
posturing
>>and smacks not a little bit of dishonorable behavior and a overinflated
since
>>of self-importance.
>
>And he again is taking as gospel a third hand account originating with
>someone of whom he knows nothing, and attacking an unknown person (again,
>probably me) on the basis of it.

You assume that you are being attacked simply by a general comment made in
reference to an unnamed and unknown person?

Forgive my presumption that defense against an accusation of guilt or
innocence is only required when a party is named.

I will consequently keep my unwanted comments to myself and henceforth
remain silent. My apologies to the list for any offense I may have given

Dragonfyr