SC - Celtic Foods and Cooking Gear

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Feb 19 10:01:42 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Greywolf asks:

> Any suggestions on sources of informatin on the Celts are appreciated.

Check out Ann Hagens two book series _Anglo Saxon Food and Drink_. Both are
avail. through amazon.com.

These are great!!!! Dont let the title fool you--it covers Vikings, and all
kinds of other early periods. She uses period recipe sources as well as
literature and even archeological evidence to build a picture of what
people ate, how they ate it and how it got to them for early period folks.
She supposes nothing...everything is backed up with real evidience and
everything is cited within an inch of its life. Hooray! I still like the
bit where she takes the chromatographs from the pot shards to show that the
cabbage was actually boiled in the pot. hee hee hee. I'm such a geek!

Also, if you're doing Romano-British, Apicius is a perfectly acceptable
source for someone trying to impress the local Roman dignitary with how
continental they are.

- --AM