SC - Roman Desserts

Melissa Martines melissa.martines at mail.corpfamily.com
Thu Feb 19 12:25:23 PST 1998

     I've received several private requests for the recipes for the Roman
     desserts I mentioned in my post to Rebecca, so I thought the whole
     list might enjoy them.

     BTW, Rebecca mentioned she had tried the cottage cheese dish and her
     test tasters had said it was too weird. When Roz and I did this for
     the feast, it was served to our three "above the salt" tables who paid
     extra money and got extra dishes for the "adventurous diner" (this
     allowed us to serve some strange Roman dishes like fish stew, garum
     and snails.)

     So, the cottage cheese may be too weird for the average feast eater,
     but I like it :)

     (These are the recipe sizes for one table of 8)

     Gustum De Piris (Poached Pears)

     4 fresh pears, peeled and sliced off the core
     1 c. Tokay (or really sweet red) wine
     1 c. water
     1/2 c. honey

     Mix wine, water and honey.  Warm until thoroughly mixed, then add pear
     slices.  Boil, then simmer 10 minutes or until tender but still firm.
     Remove from heat and chill.  Before serving, drain off most of liquid.

     Patina de Persicis (Peach Custard)

     1 30 oz. can peaches in heavy syrup
     4 eggs
     1 5 oz can evaporated milk
     1/2 c. sugar

     Blend all ingredients (food processor is handy).  Bake at 350 for 40
     minutes.  Serve warm or cold.

     Mel et Caseum (Cottage Cheese and Honey)

     1 lb. cottage cheese
     1/2 c. honey
     1 tsp. poppy seeds

     Mix cheese and honey thoroughly.  Sprinkle with poppy seeds and serve.

     THLady Morgan MacBride
     Shire of Glaedenfeld
     Meridies