SC - kitchen kits (long)

dkpirolo at cts.com dkpirolo at cts.com
Thu Feb 19 18:57:41 PST 1998

Greetings Cooks et al,
I am fairly new to the SCA, been in for a year and my husband is now an
official member of his war band.  I heard that it was a painful process and
I am glad I was not thereto see it.
Anyhoo, I returned from Estrella determined to put an authentic kit
together and was wondering  on a time frame to shoot for (5 years, 7years
or more?)  My hubby and I are both students (although he took a semester
off because he already earned two bachelor's degrees) and he works two jobs
and I raise our three kids so spending a fortune right away is just not
feasible.  So to my questions:

1.  What is the most important piece of equipment, kitchen or otherwise, to
have "authenticated" by the next war, May Potrero in CAID?

2.  I have no idea what Medieval cooks used in the field to cook on or
with.  Since most of the events I have attended have been wars, I have
cooked over an open fire.  My question is what is the equivalent, if any,
of a medieval barbecuer?  I have one of those converted washer thingees--it
is at least peri-oid, now I would like to work on period.

3.  I still have not been able to get my hands on an heirloom plants
catalogue even though I have sent requests, via e-mail, to several
different companies.  If someone out there has a copy of a recent catalogue
they could send me I would gladly reimburse you for postage and handling.

As ever,
Celestria
"insert spiffy quote here"