SC - Squid-Charter info

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 15:03:41 PST 1998

In a message dated 2/19/98 9:15:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, dar3 at st-
andrews.ac.uk writes:

<<  It was in a monastery in
 Portugal where the hosteler served what appears to be the little beasts
 cooked in their own ink.  The problem was that these were highly
 undesirable as a food stuff (apparently) as the visiting abbott tried to
 bribe his way out of eating it!  There was a mention of it being smelly
 too.  Does anyone know if this method of prep. would result in a fishy
 smell or could they have been off? (I've never tried it)

 Thanks, Coll

Many recipes for both cuttlefish and squid call for the addition of their ink.
Since both creatures are sweet and succulent if fresh, I would suspect that
they were "slightly off" Personally I have never eaten either one where there
was any pronounced taste resembling fish.  They are essentially shelless
mollusks.  Their natural flavor being more akin to scallops, oysters, mussels,
and what not.  Definitely NOT fish like.

Ras