Event bread (was SC - Flours)

Fri Feb 20 11:43:35 PST 1998

Plastic buckets will work fine for storing dough as long as they don't hold
the flavor of their previous contents.  I'd love to have some five gallon
buckets for rising bread in.  I would not try to mix the dough in them.  I
would spray the insides with some oil to keep the dough from sticking.  I
would thoroughly clean them as soon as possible after removing the dough.

If you cover the containers to keep out wild yeast, the amount of souring
should be minimal.  Using a tablespoon of salt to three or four pounds of
flour will also help sweeten the flavor.  You can also extend the rise by
chilling the dough.  I know that chilling the dough to between 35 and 40
degrees F can extend the rise up to twenty-four hours without sacrificing
much in texture or taste.

By a sweet dough, I assume you mean a dough enhanced by sugar, oil and eggs.
The kind of dough you would find in a festive brioche or a fruit bread.
Such doughs normally go from mixing to the oven in five to six hours.  They
tend to go off faster than plain bread doughs.  I've held them for about 9
hours and Elizabeth David says you can hold them up to 12 hours (8 to 10
hours in the first rise, 2 hours in the second) without damaging the flavor.

Bear