SC - Maid of Honor Tarts

Swthrt13 at aol.com Swthrt13 at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 21:03:43 PST 1998

A couple of days ago, someone was discussing a recipe for "maid of honor"
tarts.......Unfortunately, I do not have the person responsible for this
rendition originally.  I purchased a set of 20 recipes at the Kansas City
Renaissance Fair in Sept. 1996.  This card was included in the set.  None of
the recipes had author or redaction information, and I am re-typing it
verbatim from the card.

Maids of Honor Tarts (sometimes called, Queen of Heaven Tarts)
    Introduced into Catherine of Aragon's household by her ladies.  The name
"Maids of Honor" is rumored to have been attributed to the Queens' archrival,
Anne Boleyn, who supposedly baked them to please King Henry VIII.  The King is
thought to have named them after Anne, maid of honor to Queen Catherine.

20 tartlet shells, done but not brown
1/4 c softened butter
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs (yolks only)
2 tbsp heavy cream
rind of 1/2 lemon, grated
1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2/3 c ground, lightly toasted almonds
1/2 c currants
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add egg yolks, one at a time, then cream
again.  Add other ingredients and blend well.  Spoon into shells, leaving 1/3
of the shell empty at the top.  Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.  (Longer if
larger tarts are made.)