SC - kitchen burns (OOP)

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Tue Feb 24 09:02:20 PST 1998

Just a word of warning.  I used to work in the cafeteria
at college, and was asked to take the ravioli out of the
steam oven (big oven, air tight, that steamed the food hot)
and make sure it was hot enough to serve.

The food was in 2 institutional pans with lids, one on the
other.  I took the top one out, and didn't get the pan high
enough to clear the lid (or the water in the oven made them
stick; also possible).  The bottom one came out with it and
poured very hot ravioli down my apron, down my legs, into my
shoes.

So the cautions are this: wear closed covered shoes, long
pants, apron, etc, and be sure your food won't move when you
move the other stuff in the ovens.  Actually, it was some
debate whether long pants would have helped, for the tomato
sauce would have stuck longer on my legs (until I took off
the pants), but the raviolis would not have been in my shoes;
I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my ankles.

<gruesome details = "on">

And one more word; if you *ever* pour hot tomato sauce on
any portion of your anatomy, hot enough to burn, do *not*
try to wipe it off.  Use cold water and rinse it without
touching it.  I removed my skin like the skin of a tomato
that way.

</gruesome details>

===
"Power corrupts.  Absolute power is kind of neat."
        -- John Lehman (Secretary of the US Navy, 1981-1987)

Conchobar
Jambe de Leon, AoA, WOAW
A&S Champion of Three Mountains
Apprentice to Ollamh Lonergan Fionn O'Flaherty of Adiantium