SC - Copyright of Recipes

Delaurus at geocities.com Delaurus at geocities.com
Wed Feb 25 05:29:22 PST 1998

> From:          "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>

> I haven't joined in this discussion, as all of the points I would normally
> present have been brought up.  The new law about electronic copyright
> offenses has not been mentioned, and may need be considered.
>
> Last December 16, the No Electronic Theft (NET) Act was signed into law.
>
> It is now a federal crime to distribute or possess unauthorized electronic
> copies of copyrighted material valued at $1,000 or more, even when no profit
> is involved.  The law does not contain fair-use exemptions.
>
> This means that assembling a collection of recipes from the web and
> publishing it without the permission of the authors of the recipes could
> make the person who assembles the work guilty of a second felony, and one
> more likely to attract the interest of federal authorities than a simple
> copyright violation.

Greetings...

Actually......   Maybe not....
It refers to someone scanning the public library to keep the things without
paying.  Until the messages are individually copyrighted by their authors
and a value per message established, they'll fall thru the cracks.

And if you think of the bits from the original books, well, then everyone
on this list (and all ISP's, and Dejanews) get busted real fast.  What are
sources ?? Huh huh ??    Even those that fell into the public domain , the
anthology/republication/whatever renewed the copyrights... So unless you
actually use the original manuscript (I think the copyright on most period
document died a while ago) yer already a criminal.

                                                            Fingers.