SC - Who says kitchen burns are OOP?

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Wed Feb 25 20:21:11 PST 1998

On 2/25/98 1:48 PM you wrote:

>> And one more word; if you *ever* pour hot tomato sauce on
>> any portion of your anatomy, hot enough to burn, do *not*
>> try to wipe it off.  Use cold water and rinse it without
>> touching it.  I removed my skin like the skin of a tomato
>> that way.
>
>Solutions generally boil at a hotter temperature than plain water...I
>had a lovely experience with boiling milk with sugar in it. Suffice it
>to say if we ever meet I'll show you my scar...
>
>Adamantius
>troy at asan.com

Cold water is not a universal remedy, however.  My husband recalls the
time his mother splashed fluid (molten) caramel on her hand and stuck it
under the cold water tap--- it formed a crust on the outside but
continued to cook her hand underneath!

What other general classes of things besides candies might do this "forms
surface crust when cooled, continues to cook underneath" reaction?

Thanks,
Chimene/Gerek