SC - Raw Milk

donna_m_smith at icpphil.navy.mil donna_m_smith at icpphil.navy.mil
Fri Feb 27 07:06:48 PST 1998

    I agree with Lord Ras.  Homogenization is a process of keeping whole
milk from separating into cream and skim milk by breaking up the fat
globules into smaller globules, and distributing it throughout the milk,
which happens by a mechanical process of *shaking*.  According to my
reference, cheese curds will still form if you're making cheese, they will
just be softer, and not quite as easy to make into a cheese.  Some cheeses
are made from skim milk, cream, or whey as well.  (Cheesemaking Made Easy,
Ricki Carroll & Robert Carroll).
    Pasteurization will kill off the bacteria found in raw milk.  Some of
these are human pathogens (ex. tuberculosis and brucellosis) and some are
not harmful to humans and can add some useful flavors to cheese if you make
it.  Some people swear by raw milk cheeses for this reason.  You must be
very careful about where the milk comes from if you plan to use raw milk,
unless the cheese is to be aged more than 60 days.  (In PA, I can definitely
buy unpasteurized, unhomogenized milk.) There are two ways to pasteurize,
one of which has the least effect on the flavor of the milk or the cheese
made from it.  Of course that one is the least economical.
a.  The better one:  Heat milk to 144 or 145 degrees F (62 C) for 30
minutes.  Cool immediately to 40 degrees (F).
b.  Flash pasteurization (most economical):  Heat milk to 160 deg. F (71 C)
for 15 sec.  This results in a cooked taste to the milk.
    Another thing that could hinder cheesemaking is the presence of
antibiotics in the milk.  When adding cultures to the milk, the antibiotic
could kill it off even at that point.  This happens occasionally, and the
culture simply won't grow (the one(s) you *want* in the milk.)
    I thought that "rotted" milk was due to the presence of bacteria (which
would enter from the air after the milk was pasteurized) that happens to
produce that kind of result, while cheese (and buttermilk) was due to the
presence of wanted bacteria that happens to produce that particular type of
output.

Meadhbh ni hAilin
East

Subject: Re: SC - Raw Milk
Date:    2/26/98 9:08 PM

>In a message dated 2/25/98 10:13:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, tinyzoo at vr-
>net.com writes:

><< The formaldehyde kills just about EVERYTHING beneficial in the
> milk - this is why they have to add chemical versions of vitamins A & D back
> to the milk,  >>

<snip.  According to the milk producer