SC - lye, fish, pastry, japanese and horehound

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Fri Feb 27 08:50:21 PST 1998

2) I know how to _make_ lye, but does anyone happen to know what it is
chemically?? (if only I had paid better attention in Organic Chem all
those years ago...)

Thanks in advance,
Bogdan

Sodium hydroxide and / or potassium hydroxide.

potassium hydroxide, KOH, caustic potash.
properties: white deliquescent pieces, lumps, pellets, sticks or flakes
having a crystalline fracture. Keep well stoppered- absorbs water and carbon
dioxide from the air. Soluable in water, alcohol, glycerine, slightly
soluable in ether.
derivation: electrolysis of concentrated KOH solution.
<snippage about purification, grades, containers, hazmat warnings and
shipping regulations. i can post those too if needful>
uses:soap manufacture, bleaching, manufacture of oxalic acid, reagent in
analytic chemistry, matches, process engraving, in foods as an alkali,
electrolyte in soreage batteries.

sodium hydroxide-pretty much the same, deriven from electrolyzing table
salt. chemically known as NaOH.

yummy-just what I want in my lutefisk...

margali