SC - Rehashing tho'ts on allergies and menus

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at tempphd1.com
Mon Feb 2 08:05:14 PST 1998

>       As a recovering alcoholic (14 years sober),
Hooray!  Damn good job!  Keep at it.

> I don't mind dishes made
> with wine, even though that was my drug of choice.  The alcohol cooks
> out, in
> most instances, and leaves the wonderful taste behind.
That is not what I was talking about.
> I have been known, on
> occasion, to indulge in desserts soaked rum or brandy, etc., but for
> me that's
> a little more risky.
That IS what I was talking about.
> What my sponsor told me was that as long as I didn't
> 'think' that eating things with alcohol in them made me believe I
> could handle
> drinking again, I was probably okay.  I'm well aware that not everyone
> feels
> comfortable with this line of thinking.  Most of my 12 step program
> thought I
> was looking to use again when I started playing SCA because I was
> around
> people who indulged.  Events only re-emphasis to me why I quit.
> There's
> really not much temptation in that.  What's hard are the small
> gathering of
> friends with a new bottle to try.
>       Anyway, the point is, I wouldn't expect any one to add/subtract
> ingredients for me.  On a large scale, I don't do so for others, I
> just make
> sure they have other things to choose.
I think that the problem regarding addictions is when desserts or
recipes containing uncooked alchohol are served. Some of those who have
recovered may lose the ability, while the alcohol is powering into all
those old receptor sites, to maintain the  judgment and strength
required to refuse those "friends with a new bottle".  I think that that
would be tragic, and I would feel tremendously bad, if that happened
because I served that rum cake, or whatever.

Brandu