SC - Spanish souring agents

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Mon Feb 2 15:28:46 PST 1998

Hello from Sylvan Glen:
        Lady Brighid said:

>> Here's a thought...what types of vinegar do you think go with
>> English food, vs French food, vs the Eastern corpus? Or German? or
>> Spanish?
>
>After discussing English vinegars, I forgot to mention the Spanish
>ones.  The "Libro de Guisados" mentions vinegar and verjuice, though
>it does not IIRC specify what type of wine they are made from.  The
>more common souring ingredients are the juice of sour oranges, lemon
>juice, and pomegranate juice.
>
>Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
>Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
>mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net
>==

        It is rather interesting that you say that sour citrus juices were
used more often as souring agents in the "Libro de Guisados".  The opposite
situation is true in the "Arte de Cozina" some 70 or 80 years later.
Verjuice & vinegar seem to be used pretty much interchangeably in most
recipes, although some recipes mention only one or the other; there are lots
of recipes that call for one, the other or either.  Sour orange juice is a
somewhat common as a souring agent & lemon juice is much less so.  Lime
juice is called for once or twice.  Pomegranite juice is not used at all.
                Take care,     Antoine
Dan Gillespie
dangilsp at intrepid.net
Dan_Gillespie at usgs.gov