SC - Period Pasta recipes...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 4 07:55:04 PST 1998

> Our _Miscellany_ (next-to-last edition is webbed--search for Cariadoc) has
> several pasta recipes.  From memory:
>
> Rishta (13th c. Islamic), which is long thin noodles, has a sauce of meat,
> lentils, chickpeas and cinnamon.  Salma (coin-shaped pasta) and Shushbarak
> (ravioli) both have a sauce of yogurt, mint and garlic (15th c. Islamic).
> Macrows ("Take and make a thin foil of dough, and carve it on pieces..."),
> Ravioles (cheese ravioli) and Losyns (also flat noodles) are served with
> cheese and butter with poudre douce; also, there is a fast-day Losenges
> served with an almond-milk sauce (all of these are 14th-15th c English).
> Platina (15th c. Italian) has recipes for both noodles and macaroni, served
> with cheese.
>
> Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

To add to the fun, don't forget the 14th-century English recipe for
Hares in Papdele, found in The Forme of Cury. It is essentially a
boneless hare stew, cooked in broth, and stacked up with either wafers
_or_ loseyns, apparently. I'd be vastly surprised to find that Papdele
isn't a cognate of the Italian wide noodle, pappardelle.

What I find especially intriguing is that a strikingly similar dish of
duck stew (with additions like tomato and red wine added to the basic
reduced broth sauce) is served over pappardelle in the well-known New
York restaurant Felidia. Chef/owner Lydia Bastianich claims the dish is
a traditional import from Trieste... .

Adamantius
troy at asan.com