SC - What's happening?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Feb 5 07:14:24 PST 1998

>In a message dated 2/4/98 3:34:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, dkpirolo at cts.com
>writes:
>
><< Specifically I would like to find out
> what plants were grown together for mutual benefit of the plants, >>
>
>Unfortunately , I have no sources or pictures that people in the MA, used
>"companion" planting which is part of what you're describing. However, there
>are many pictures in various works that show raised beds and espallier. For a
>good example of espallier , visit the Cloisters in New York City where they
>have espallier examples growing in the Monestery garden. Since I am currently
>envolved in replanning my herb beds, I will be looking closely at any pictures
>of Medieval gardens that I can find.
>
>So far as Native American gardening techniques are concerned , it is those
>techniques, such as row planting, hills, etc. that were a direct influence on
>modern farming techniques for mass planting. Medieval persons depended upon
>scattering and trampling the seed into the ground for field crops such as
>wheat, barley, rye, etc.
>
>Kitchen and castle gardens are depicted as well planned systems of raised beds
>using full advantage of the sun, etc. and including structures such as shade
>houses, sheds, etc. in their formation.
>
>If anyone has any information that links companion planting techniques or
>French Intensive techniques to the Middle Ages, I would be more than a little
>interested in that knowledge. Thanks in advance.
>
>Ras

Hello!  I suggest you find a copy of "The Gardener's Labyrinth" by Thomas
Hill, 1577,  edited & with an introduction by Richard Mabley, Oxford Univ.
Press, 1987. ISBN 0-19-217763-X
 From the dust jacket:  "His detailed account of types of soils, the making
of hedges, the cultivation, qualities, and uses of more than fifty herbs,
vegetables, and flowers, is interspersed with complex zodiacal schemes for
planting and harvesting, and extraordinary suggestions for deterring pests
and controlling the weather.  The book is packed with meticulous
instructions for every possible garden activity:  laying out paths and
constructing arbours; drying herbs and flowers and storing roots;
transplanting seedlings; weeding and watering..."

The book is packed with illustrations, some of knotwork gardens & raised beds.

Yours in haste,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net