SC - Fw: VENISON!! (Footnote for Hare vs. Coney)

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 6 17:04:13 PST 1998

Foo.

I don't usually quote myself, but just to make sure this is clear:

- ---"Mike C. Baker" <kihe at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> (from memory) "Blackeagle's Best" Three-Meat Chili

Not derived from any known, documentable, pre-1600 source. Purely
modern, and the method described for preparing otherwise hopeless
cuts of venison for the soup pot probably irreproducible before
electric power. Based on prior traffic on this list and other
knowledge, there may have been a similar result obtainable from
sausage-grinding or similar equipment -- I've not done it myself, so
there.

(I've not studied / searched for the available "Aztecan" materials
yet, and am not aware of any [further north] North American recipes
for meats being documented as returned to Europe before the death of
Elizabeth Tudor, Regina Anglorum.)

On a marginally related matter, hare as I have encountered it in
North America tends to be tougher / stringier than rabbit (and may
require processing into something like sausage to really be edible
by most modern-trained American palates.)

Caveat: TTBOMK jackrabbit is actually a type of hare, while
cottontail is "true" rabbit. (And yes, I've had both, as well as
domesticated rabbit -- jackrabbit had an unpleasantly gamey taste
once I could divorce it from the pepper in the sausage, cottontail
was o.k., and farm-raised bunny was the best of the three.)

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com