SC - Odd question

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Feb 7 14:52:55 PST 1998

And it came to pass on  7 Feb 98, that jeffrey s heilveil wrote:

> Greetings,
> It recently (last  night) came up in conversation whether some form
> of calamari is period.  Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
>
> Bogdan

In (what else?) the 1529 "Libro de Guisados", there is a recipe which
includes squid.  Herewith a recipe which I have never redacted (and
don't intend to, 'cause I hate squid).

POTAJE DE CALAMARES Y JIBIAS
Pottage of Squid and Cuttlefish

The squid and cuttlefish must be well washed and clean, and after
gently frying them, but not entirely, and when they are almost half
cooked, take them out of the frying-pan and put them into a pot; and
then put with them blanched almonds and raisins and pine nuts; and
then take a few toasted almonds and pound them* and strain them**
with a little vinegar watered down with fish broth if you have it; if
not cast in a litle water so that it will not be too strong; and when
the raisins and the almonds have been slightly fried with the squid
and cuttlefish, take them and finish frying them; then cut them into
pieces and when this is done prepare dishes.

* In most recipes in the "Libro de Guisados" the instruction to
"pound" something specifies that it is to be done in a mortar.

** Literally "pass them", which in most other recipes is
followed by a phrase like "through a strainer" or "through a
cloth".

Hope this helps.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom