SC - Re: [Dstlg] beer bread, OOP

Arabella de Montacute ladyarabella at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 00:20:29 PST 1998

Puck,
     I'm new to this list and have been quietly been listen for about a
week.  I have not yet tried using spent grains yet but my lord husband
is new to brewing and there's a workshop demonstration this month in our
barony, I'll let you know how it went.
     I am not claiming to be anywhere near an expert, but I've got ideas
to share with you.
     I have had the same problem with my bread maker.  I have found that
wheat flour takes longer to cook, and the very best flour for a bread
machine is the type ground specially for the machine.  Gold Medal makes
one, it comes in a yellow package. There's is something about how it's
ground that makes it different from regular bleached flour.  I also use
bread machine yeast in a jar kept in the fridge, seems to be fresher,
instead of packages kept in the fridge.
     I let the machine make the dough then remove it and cook the dough
on a baking stone, (you know the kind from Pampered Chef for pizzas) It
makes a nice round period looking loaf.
     I use a egg bread recipe that has had the same doughy middle.  I
found if I take the bread out of the machine and let the dough sit on
the baking stone, on top of the stove while the oven heats up, it rises
again and is not so heavy in the middle.  I've also tried to cook it a
little longer.  The crust is really crisp but it's done in the middle.
If your using a bread machine the liquid you use should be no hotter
than 100 degrees.  Any hotter and your yeast will die.
     I look forward to hearing how you it comes out again.  Hope my tiny
bits of wisdom helps.

Arabella