SC - beer bread, OOP

R.A. Kappler II kappler at edgenet.net
Mon Feb 9 13:10:45 PST 1998

><< 1 cup spent grain >>
>What is spent grain?  Do you mean spelt?
>Thanks Phillipa Seton
Forgive me milady for not being more clear.  I sometimes forget that my
passions do not always coincide with those of others.  In brewing beer you
'mash' malted barley, ie soak it in specific amounts of water at specific
temps and times.  This process allows enzymes within the malt to activate
and convert the starch in the grain to sugar.  The water (now called wort)
is run off to be fermented by brewers yeast, and whats left is the 'spent
grain' to which I referred.

Regards, Puck