SC - islinglass crystals!? Am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Arabella de Montacute ladyarabella at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 22:13:03 PST 1998

>That particular islinglass is known as muscovite mica, used in oven
>doors and
>such in the "Good Ole Days". It's a clear mineral found in areas where
>there
>was volcanic activity, like here in the Blue Ridge... the other
>isinglass
>probably influnced the first one's name or visa-versa as in the
>current/rasin
>debate.
>
>Corwyn

If it is a mineral - that could be possible, I guess, it's a pretty soft
mineral.  I went to look it up in one of my college geology textbooks:

Henry Holt guide to Minerals and Fossils by Bishop

"Mica group - There are two groups of Micas: dark mica rich in Fe and
Mg: and white mica which is rich in aluminum.  In addition there is a
series of lithium micas.

Muscovite - ( it lists chemical composition here, I'll save you)
Chrystal system - Monoclinic : puedo-hexagonal. Habit - Chrystals
tabular and hexagonal in outline; also as foliated masses and as
disseminated flakes...... Hardness in Mos'hardness scale - 2 1/2  - 3
(meaning you can scratch it off with your fingernails) Cleavage - Basal,
perfect.  Cleavage flakes flexible and elactic.  Color and transparancy
- - Colorless to pale grey, green or brown: transparant to translucent.
(I'll save ya'll from the rest, terminology for students of geology,
unless you've taken a geology class you probably haven't heard these
terms)

If that is what inslinglass is, then why would they use a rock or
mineral in their food?  If I remember correctly this debate began when
somone asked what it was and maybe why it was in ingredient in their
recipe?  If I remember correctly, it's been a few years ago, a Mica
doesn't have a chemical reaction to a specific liquid like a few other
minerals do.  And it has no taste like the mineral Halite(Rock Salt).
So why add it to food????

Just my two cents worth - Arabella