SC - Piperfarces - a query

Jessica Tiffin melesine at ilink.nis.za
Tue Feb 10 03:18:20 PST 1998

Hello the list!

The Cook's Guild here were fiddling with the piperfarces recipe over the
weekend (strips of cheese in a batter of egg yolks, flour and wine)  - we
had the Pleyn Delit version and Cariadoc's redaction, but we worked more or
less from the original and varied proportions for different effects.

The question is - Cariadoc's version uses 8 egg yolks to 2 T flour, where
Pleyn Delit uses 2 egg yolks to slightly more flour than Cariadoc (I don't
have Pleyn Delit here, I'm afraid, so can't be exact).  We used something
closer to Pleyn Delit, which worked well as a very thick batter.  What would
be the reason for using such a vast number of egg-yolks?  I've tried it in
those proportions, and it makes a very rich batter which is otherwise not
significantly different to the one we did with far fewer yolks.  Are there
parallel period examples which suggest a high yolk content?

Any illuminating comments would be welcome.  Cariadoc?  Anyone?

wondering,

Melisant

Jessica Tiffin
melesine at ilink.nis.za  *  jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za