SC - teaching kids (was beerbread)

Heather L. Markle hlmarkle at ulster.net
Wed Feb 11 17:17:52 PST 1998

>  One thing I'm
>working up to is my first true period dish, and can't think of a better
>thing than to do it with my boys.  I have been at sea most of their lives,
>so every opportunity.......
>So, since I brought it up, I'll push the thread a little.  What
>recommendations would the list make re a first period dish for Puck and his
>11 and 12 year old tax deductions to cook as a team.  For those of you that
>don't have kids, here's a few ground rules:  Must be very tasty, fun and not
>too complicated to prepare, though lots of unusual ingredients is a plus
>(remember the chemistry set), ummmm....time is sort of important; what was
>your attention span at that age?  Oh, and pleyn Delit is currently our best
>resource, so if you suggest an idea from another source, recipe please?
>Nothing needing redaction, we need to work our way up.  Now that I've been a
>killjoy, I'll borrow kat's bambi eyes and mewl puuuulllleeeease?
>
>Regards, Puck

My Lord,

As the mom of two, I have been enjoying this thread immensely. may I make
two suggestions. (I'll assume you are working with the second edition of
Pleyn Delit, published in 1997. I also have the version published in 1979,
if that is what you have)

1 Hedgehogs! #138 Yummy meatballs w/ almond quills. Use currents for the
eyes and nose and life don't get much better than this.

2 Chicken Pasties Lombard! #107 Chicken breasts, dipped in eggs and wrapped
in bacon, then encased in pastry dough. Very Yummy, and its an introduction
to the wonderful world of pastry. (you can cheat and use premade pie
creast, if thats a little TOO much adventure)

Hope this helps

Heather L Markle (hlmarkle at ulster.net)
 * Mind Like  A Steel Trap - Rusty And Illegal In 37 States

Lady Catalina Maria D'Oro
Vert, on a lozenge Or a Cat dormant sable, in dexter chief a mullet Or