SC - medieval beverages

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Wed Feb 11 18:18:01 PST 1998

Mark.S Harris wrote:

> list of medieval beverages. I’d love to have more than the one
> caudle recipe I have and I’m not sure what a braggot (as in a drink)
> is.

Braggot (also spelled brakkot) is a fermented beverage of honey and malt
(grain sugar). It is normally spiced, the recipe I use (Forme of Cury)
has pepper and cloves in it.

> However, a great many of these beverages are rather high in sugars.
> I am a diabetic and have to watch these easily absorbed sugars. Hence,
> I often end up drinking diet soda.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for non-beer (blech!, we’ve discussed
> this, let’s not do it again), non-sugared type medieval drinks?

Diabetics are not treated kindly in medieval cookery. There are few
documentable beverages you will be able to enjoy. Your options are:
spiced wines with less than the usual amounts of sugar or mixed in
advance with a sugar substitute, almond milk with less or no sugar,
tisane (if you do not like beer you may not like tisane, try at home
before taking it to an event), really dilute sekanjabin (you can try a
non-sugar sweetner for this, please let me know the results). If you
decide to use a sugar subsititue, please tell people so before you
share. Sorry to be such a nut on the subject, but I've got someone in my
groups who's allergic to nutrasweet.

I am sorry I cannot be of more help, the best you may be able to do is
tell people you are under a vow and drink water.

Documentation for sugarless almond milk and tisane.

Almond Milk without sugar or honey

Anonymous. _Le Menagier de Paris_. (The Goodman of Paris, c. 1395)
Translated by Janet Hinson. Reprinted in A Collection of Medieval and
Renaissance Cookbooks: First Compiled by Duke Cariadoc of the Bow and
The Duchess Diana Alena. Fifth Edition (1992) Volume Two, published
privately.  Page M38-39 Beverages for Invalids

<begin quote> Hazelnut Beverage. Parboil and peel, then put in cold
water, then grind and mix with boiled water and strain; grind and strain
twice, then put in the cellar to cool; and it is better than a tisane.

Almond beverage. As above. <end quote>

Tisane
Anthimus. _De Observatio Ciborum_. circa 526CE. Translated by Weber,
Shirley Howard. _Anthimus, De Observatio Ciborum: Text, Commentary and
Glossary with a Study of the Latinity. Dissertation…_. Published by E.J.
Brill Ltd., Leiden 1924.

<begin quote> LXIIII Of Tisane
Tisane which is made of barley, if anyone knows how to make it, is good
for well people and for those with a fever…. Diluted with warm wine, a
teaspoon of it well mixed should be sipped slowly on a empty stomach….
We usually give this to those with a fever, not thick, but diluted with
clear warm water. It is agreeable also during periods of fasting, in
Lent, to take this with hot water by all means…. <end quote>