SC - burning oneself

RMcGrath at dca.gov.au RMcGrath at dca.gov.au
Fri Feb 13 15:28:29 PST 1998

<sigh>  When I lived in London, I supported myself by working as a cook,
providing three meals a day in a private household.  I admit that I got
around the umpteen kitchen scars symdrome (aka KiSS) by using thick pot
mitts, one per hand, that covered my entire hand.  New mitts, too, cos old
ones tend to lose their suppleness what with dough, pastry, gravy, etc
landing on them.  (despite the cats' best attempts to lick the yummies off
the mits - yeuchhhhh! exit two cats from the kitchen!)

When checking how a covered saucepan is going, tilt the lid away from
yourself to allow the initial steam to disappear.  Also check how the
overhead fan / rangehood works - some draw away steam directly upwards,
others seem to draw steam away at a slight angle, depending upon which
hotplate you use. If a window is open in the kitchen, that will affect the
draught.

And do you have a neat collection of knife scars too, Irissa? <grin>
Despite following occupational health and safety practices when cutting
food, I *still* have a neat network of scars over my fingers, palms, back
of hands. Fact is, I'm probably destined to be a bit klutzy in a nice way.
(no Puck, don't say a word!!! :-)

hugs
Rakhel Petrovna
Lochac