SC - RE: Introduction--Reply, Query

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Feb 12 23:11:01 PST 1998

Aoife asks:

So, my question is this: Although I have been playing with cooking practices
from the Medieval-Rennaisance period (I can now bake almost anything
reliably over a fire, in addition to other methods), I am a little stumped
as to acoutrements---are there any period-type implements out there, and
where do I get them? Any ideas? I have a tripod, hooks and chains, kettles
(large and small), etc. but need a pot lifter, a trivet, a spit
(adjustable), and some fire-tiles. I'd also like some "hot shot", which a
local rev-war group uses to heat their dishwater---it's basically a
gate-weight or small cannonball with an cast iron loop attached. You throw
it in the fire, and when you're ready to wash dishes, you fish it out with a
fire iron and swirl it in your tub of water---instant hot dishwater!

Take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
utensils-msg      (88K) 10/24/97    Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.

I like the idea of this “hot shot” water heater.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net