SC - Tanur/tandoori breads

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sat Feb 14 10:39:49 PST 1998

> The bread puffs up and/or peels away from the side of the oven as it
> cooks: the trick is to reach in with an iron hook and catch it just
> before it falls onto the coals.
>
> What I find fascinating is the fact that the traditional method of
> applying the bread dough, a sort of pillow on a wooden board with a
> handle, is not too dissimilar to the method that was used in Northern
> England until the early 20th century to "throw" havercake (oatcake)
> batter into the oven.

There's an Uzbekistani restaurant about a block from my apartment.
Although it has about half a dozen dishes on the menu, the great
majority of its sales are tandoori bread, which are indeed applied to
the walls of the oven in exactly this way.

Which reminds me... it's past my lunchtime, and for a dollar over there
I can get a large, filling loaf, sprinkled with black and white sesame
seeds, that smells like Heaven on earth.  Bye now....

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/