SC - Majoranas Tokany OOP

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sun Feb 15 13:17:40 PST 1998

OK. . .here's the last one I think.  Please remind me if I promised any
others. . .

Majoranas Tokany (Marjoram Tokany)

2 lbs. beef
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 medium sized onions, finely sliced
1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 cup dry white wine
1 2/3 cups diced bacon
1 cup sour cream

Cut the beef into strips measuring about 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch. Melt the butter
in a pan, add onions and cook over low heat until soft.  Increase heat, add
beef, and brown onions and beef together.  Add marjoram, salt and pepper,
stir, and add white wine.  Leave to cook until beef is half cooked.

Meanwhile, fry the bacon lightly in its own fat, then add to the beef and
onion mixture, together with sour cream.  Simmer gently until the beef is
cooked, reducing the liquid towards the end of cooking time if necessary.

This recipe comes from _A Little Hungarian Cookbook_ by Gretel Beer
Noemi's Notes:

This is excellent over noodles.  Not particularly heart healthy but some
changes can be made to bring the cholesterol level down.  Use vegetable oil
instead of butter and substitute low fat sour cream or plain youghut for the
sour cream.