SC - Piperfarces - a query

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Feb 16 06:50:33 PST 1998

Melisant talked about the piperfarces she had cooked:

>The Cook's Guild here were fiddling with the piperfarces recipe over the
>weekend (strips of cheese in a batter of egg yolks, flour and wine)  - we
>had the Pleyn Delit version and Cariadoc's redaction, but we worked more or
>less from the original and varied proportions for different effects.

I tried these for a pot luck at an event in early January. I thought
it would be a quick, easy dish.  I’ve come to the conclusion this is not
a good recipe for beginning cooks, although I may try it again sometime.

I used the Pleyn Delit redaction, I believe. While they tasted good
and they all disappeared off the plate at the pot-luck, they didn’t
look that good. Many ended up losing their coatings. And I had trouble
with the molten cheese wanting to stick to the plate I was putting them
on after pulling them from the oil. I also had trouble turning them
in the pan, as they stuck to the pan or the molten cheese stuck to
the utensil I was trying to turn them with.

I have not fried chicken and such before, so some of this is just
general inexperience. Is there some way to fry the coating without
turning the cheese into a gooey mess? Suggestions?

When I tried frying breaded, frozen mushrooms, many of them lost
their breading, too. But at least they didn’t stick to everything.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net