SC - beer bread, OOP

Tyrca at aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 17:50:23 PST 1998

Dearest Puck,
    I know that it has been a while, but I got behind on my mail, and am only
now reading your message about Beer Bread.  And since I have had some success
with this, I will let you know what I did.
    Whenever I bake bread, I put a couple of tablespoons of yeast, some warm
water, and some sugar in the mixing bowl, and let it soften.  Then I add what
I want to add, including sometimes an egg, or different kinds of flour like
Rye or Soy or rolled oats.  As long as at least half the flour is white flour
to help with the gluten.  I work it in the mixer until it gets too thick, then
switch to dough hooks.  Then I add about a cup of spent grain and then white
flour until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.  In other words, I
leave the grain whole, and use it as you would sunflower seads or nuts.  I
like the flavor and texture much better if you leave the barley in tact.  And
I have never had rising problems.
    Bear, What do you think?  You are the bread-making guru.

Tyrca