SC - King's taste comments

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Feb 17 00:30:53 PST 1998

At 4:29 PM -0800 2/16/98, Alderton, Philippa wrote:
>Cariadoc,

>Much as I respect your knowledge about period matters, it is not my place
>to tell others how to run their Dream.

I think this list is an entirely appropriate place for people to express
opinions about what the SCA is and should be. Do you disagree?

>What I do take exception to is the fact that some people come down hard on
>people who may be fairly new to the Society and are trying to learn. That
>is not chivalrous behavior.

The people whose attitude I was commenting on were:

1. Local royalty

2. A long term SCA member who is a friend of ours, and is trying to
learn--since, as I commented, she has participated in some of our cooking
workshops. I don't think any one "came down hard on" her--I wasn't even in
the conversation. I do think that her (and the royalty's) attitude says
something unfortunate about the general state of the Society.

Or are you referring to yourself, and objecting to my response in the exchange:

>: Alderton, Philippa wrote:

>: >Beliece it or not, Cariadoc, there really are more than one or two
>: >traditions in SCA.
>:
>: You aren't talking about a tradition. You are talking about a recent
>: innovation.
>:
>: Quick, kill it before it multiplies.

I think I am entitled to argue that practice at Pennsic 1 trumps all
subsequent practice in defining true and ancient traditions with regard to
the hiring of mercenaries. And, as the final comment was intended to imply,
I believe in selectively recognizing practices as traditions or ignoring
them as innovations, according to whether or not I think they are a good
idea.

Do you think that is a mistaken strategy? Do you think that refusing to
support traditions involving public gifts of strikingly out of period
items--what my Lady wife was doing--is likely to make the SCA, on the
whole, a worse or a better game?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/