SC - Publishing Posts: was Recipes vs. Copyrights

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Feb 19 06:19:06 PST 1998

Korrin,

I think we have established that you would need to contact every single post
author, plus whomever they may have quoted, if not excerpted from a
published work, for specific permission before printing. So, a general post
to this list asking for an OK is not adequate for the purposes. It's a pain,
but it's necessary. Do I object to you using my posts? Heck no. But I want
to see 'em first. I reserve the right to edit the material before
distribution. Some days I just can't seem to spell, gramaticize, or
punctuate .  I reserve the right to NOT have my work included, if the
quality of the works included are not up to my standards, or I dissaprove of
the cost, beneficiaries, method of collection, or any personal or political
content (it's unlikely I would with-hold, but you never know). Does that
seem picayune? Yes it does, even to me. I'm sorry for being blunt, but if
you want my sanction, you need to follow my personal "fair-use" rules.

This is do-able, and if I can see that you have a general "public benefit,
high standard, and low cost" approach (I don't mind if you make some money
for your trouble, just not an exorbitant amount), I can't see much harm in
the enterprise. If that mission statement is not true of the enterprise,
however, then I want to make my own money off my own work, thanks.

Collecting the posts for your own personal use is clearly legal and fine
with me. They are already collected other places. I do the same thing,
sometimes, though Stefan has been so handy, I hardly need to use my disc
space for those purposes!

Aoife--whose 3-year old has made her cranky by insisting on wearing garb to
pre-school and McDonald's. Sigh. I Wish I could get away with that!