SC - kitchen kits (long)

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Feb 19 14:42:32 PST 1998

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 dkpirolo at cts.com wrote:
[snip]
> 1.  What is the most important piece of equipment, kitchen or otherwise, to
> have "authenticated" by the next war, May Potrero in CAID?

Your Tent. Then your shoes. Oh no, actually your kids' clothes. Then your
cauldron. Or ....

> 2.  I have no idea what Medieval cooks used in the field to cook on or
> with.  Since most of the events I have attended have been wars, I have
> cooked over an open fire.  My question is what is the equivalent, if any,
> of a medieval barbecuer?  I have one of those converted washer thingees--it
> is at least peri-oid, now I would like to work on period.

Do you mean a thing to put the fire in, or a thing to put over the fire?
In either case there are examples from the 10th C. I will try to get
photos on the web of my thing to put fire in. Put it on a grill made of
strips in a square.

Charles Ragnar