SC - kitchen kits (long

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri Feb 20 09:09:59 PST 1998

                      RE>>SC - kitchen kits (long)                 2/20/98

I have a gizmo that I am rather proud of.  For many years my husband had been
holding onto this funny half barrel "booze cabinet".  It is about 1'x2' and
maybe a foot deep at the absolute center.  It is meant to hang on the wall
from a chain across the back.  It was starting to fall apart, and served no
real purpose.
He was about to throw it away when I realized it could be made useful.  I tore
out the silly racks inside meant for glasses and bottles,  cleaned it up,
re-set the hinges on the doors, laquered it with weather-proof finish, put in
some better shelves and bars, and put a hook in the top overhang.
Now I have a travelling kitchen cabinet!  It has room for herbs, spices, teas,
bottles of vinegar, oil and honey, some pewter mugs, a small cutting board and
a couple of knives.  I hang wooden spoons and fresh cut herbs from the hook,
so when it is open, the non-period things are not as obvious.  And it hangs so
it can be put up out of the way and the weather.  It isn't huge but is large
enough for my share of whatever household cooking gets done at weekend events.
I have seen similar half-barrel contraptions at flea-markets, just waiting for
make overs!
- -brid