SC - How to cook ahead...

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sat Feb 21 08:09:51 PST 1998

Dragonfyr wrote:
> > but...but Lord Adamantius.....pray tell how exactly is it you cook a head?

To which Adamantius courteously responded:
> Well, the usual thing to do is make sure you have enough room in your
> freezer, about three weeks before the event. Then you invite a bunch of
> friends over, and cook ahead.
>
> Or, you could take a head, singe or scald it, scrape off all the hair,
> split it with an axe or cleaver, and remove the brain, reserving it for
> another purpose....

I have two responses.
1) At a feast in Calafia, probably eight years ago, the chef roasted a
whole ram in the kitchen.  At some point in the feast, he came out with
the roasted head on a platter and paraded it around the room to much
applause.  He returned to the kitchen, we heard a loud CHUNK, and a
minute later High Table had a dish of brains in lemon-butter sauce.
The Baroness looked a little queasy, IIRC, but the Baron made a point of
eating some and offering it around the room.  IIRC again, the dish GOT
all the way around the room (a smallish feast of 75 or so): many people
were grossed out, and the rest of us found it delicious but too rich to
eat more than a few morsels.

2) There is a recipe in the Arabo-Andalusian _Manuscrito Anonimo_
entitled "The making of monkey's head".  It's not a real monkey's head
(sorry, folks), but rather a sort of pudding, cooked in a round-bottomed
pot which is then broken and removed to leave a head-shaped thing.  I've
never tried actually making it; has anyone else?

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu
					 http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/