SC - apothecary's kit?

Thu Feb 26 13:27:00 PST 1998

> > The idea is similar to a traveling apothecary's case which would have
> > been a
> > small trunk divided and padded to carry the apothecary's vials.  I
> > have seen
> > one of these dated to the late 17th Century and they may have been
> > used
> > earlier.
> >
> > Bear
>
> Dear Bear,
>
> Could you posibly remember the source for the  apothecary's case? We had
> an entry of a similar device in our last Arts ans Sciences fair,
> unfortunately the gentle had no documentation, and so the entry could
> not be judged. I believe the gentle was on the right track, and would
> love to find information that would help.
>
> Ceridwen

Ah, contact with the outside world!  We've been fighting a network problem
for the past several days and my mail has been very spotty.

The one I saw was many years ago and in a European museum, in Pisa, I
believe.  I was reminded of it by a 19th Century dental kit that turned up
on Antiques Roadshow.  And then this discussion cropped up.  I'll try to
find it or something similar in my museum catalogs, but I wasn't collecting
them when I saw it.

A book on the subject, which was recommended to me and which I have not
read, is Anne Mortimer Young, Antique Medicine Chests, Vernier Press.  It is
primarily about 18th and 19th century medical chests, but I gather it has
some information on the full range of collectibles.

Bear