SC - Redacting

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 26 21:34:42 PST 1998

At 2:44 PM -0500 2/25/98, donna_m_smith at icpphil.navy.mil wrote:
>    Where does one get ahold of these books?  Or does one borrow them, or go
>to the library to use them (because, for instance, they're huge or expensive
>or hard to get)?  This leads to obvious questions for a newbie like me, such
>as, how does one learn to redact?  How does one redact?

1. Both of the books I mentioned are published by the Early English Text
Society. Amazon.com lists Curye at 39.95, with 4-6 week availability. They
list _Two Fifteenth Century_ as out of print with no price given. But ...

2. _Two Fifteenth_, being long out of copyright, is included in Volume I of
the collection of sources I sell. Current price is $12 including postage. I
am, however, about out, so orders will probably have to wait for my next
printing, which should be in a week or two. Also, I should warn you that
Volume I is reduction copied, four pages of source to one 8 1/2 x 11 page,
so not always easy on the eyes. It has something around a thousand pages of
source material. Volume II ($9) is shorter, only two pages to a page, and
consists mostly of cookbook translations I have organized.

One learns to redact by redacting. One starts with a period recipe and
tries to make it, keeping track of what you do (period recipes rarely
contain unnecessary details such as quantities, temperatures, or times) and
using trial and error. For more details, come to the class Elizabeth and I
will probably be teaching at Pennsic on cooking from period sources.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/