SC - herb cheese

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Feb 28 22:01:52 PST 1998

Caroline said:

>BTW I had a look in Stefan's Floregium in the cheese sections, and noticed
>there was no mention of the 'crumbly' cheeses which are common here in the
>UK, such as Wensleydale, Lancashire and Cheshire cheeses.

There will be now. :-)

>As 'cheddared'
>cheeses are OOP for me, these are the type I use commonly as replacements.
>They are keeping cheeses, but have a soft, crumbly texture closer to curd
>texture, usually white in colour.  Double Gloucester is much closer to
>cheddar in texture than these cheese (and I speak as someone from
>Gloucester!).  I'm puzzled about this, don't you have them in the States?

I have had both Wensleydale and Cheshire here in Austin, TX. But I had
to go to a specialty grocery to get them and they were fairly expensive
at $7 to $10 per pound. Great for eating and munching on. I really like
sharp cheeses. But rather expensive to put into dishes, particularly
for large SCA feasts.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net