SC - Rehashing tho'ts on allergies and menus

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at tempphd1.com
Mon Feb 2 07:54:38 PST 1998

> From:	LrdRas at aol.com [SMTP:LrdRas at aol.com]
	<snip>
> I have all of my recipes available for public inspection.  All one has
> to do
> is ask.  I hand you the recipe.  You read it.  If you can't eat it.
> You
> don't.  It's really that simple.  My PERSONAL policy is to NOT make
> exceptions
> for those with allergies, vegins, or any other unique human attendee.
> There
> is always plenty of other things to fill you up.  Requests from people
> who are
> allergic to common spices such as black pepper or along that line are
> simply
> dealt with as they occur but it is certainly unreasonable in my view
> require an entire feast to be altered for one persons allergy.
I dod not say that you should. I did state that not all "feastocrats"
are as concientious as are here. and many commercial preparations that
we use for our recipes do not have all their ingredients posted as well.
I have a son who is allergic to corn products.  Can he eat the mustard
soup?  Was dextrin or cornstarch used in the commercial mustard, or in
the soup base? what about the dessert?  Do you know what is in the
Confectioners sugar (3% cornstarch)? or in the baking powder? (6%
cornstarch).  Is the "modified food starch" Corn or Tapioca?  I am
trying to state the very few of us really know and post ALL of the
ingredients in the first place.

> A simple phone call to the Feastocrat should allay any problems with
> individual eating disorders at any feast I am in charge of.
What about when this info is simply not available?  Some feast menus are
finalized the week (and sometimes HOURS) brefore the feast. Calling
ahead of time is not always useful, for all situations.  My point is
that the Policy is ( as policies tend to be ) designed to handle
liability issues in worst case scenarios.
> It is not, IMHO, my
> responsibility to anticipate other peoples medical problems.
Never said it was.  I tried to point out that the insurance co and
lawyers might have been.

Brandu