SC - Re: year SCA was created

Mon Feb 2 13:31:56 PST 1998

> >>My Lady Aoife:
> >>             Not meaning to seem picky,this is AS XXXII but
> >>your web page says :

> Actually the SCA was created WAY before the 'early' 1980's.  I knew the
> SCA
> had been around for at least almost 25 years because June 1999 we are
> having our 25th anniversary celebration for the founding of the Dominion
> of
> Myrkfaelinn.  So I checked www.sca.org, and I discovered it was even older
> than that.  Here's the paragraph snipped down:
>
> "Since 1966, the society has grown to include over 20,000 paying members
> in
> the US, Canada, Great Britain, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Italy, Okinawa,
> New Zealand, Australia, Iceland, the Netherlands, Scotland, Ireland, and
> Spain."
>
> 	Angeline
>
> >Well, yes, I see your point, but most of the folks looking at my page
> will
> >be directed there from mundane sources (ie: the cooking pod at tripod, of
> >which I seem to be the only HISTORICAL cook). They'd have no clue what AS
> >XXXII means.

AS = Anno Societais = In the Year of the Society.  My spelling of Latin is
atrocious, so I will ask someone to correct it.

If I remember this correctly, the SCA derives from Diane Paxson's medieval
birthday party held May 1, 1964.  The party was so enjoyable that
participants continued to have events in medieval garb and organized the
SCA.  The organization was incorporated in 1966 and held a demo at the World
SF Convention in LA that year.  The SCA has maintained May 1 as its official
birthday.

Bear