SC - Fw: VENISON!! (Footnote for Hare vs. Coney)

Mordonnade at aol.com Mordonnade at aol.com
Fri Feb 6 19:43:11 PST 1998

<<
 Caveat: TTBOMK jackrabbit is actually a type of hare, while
 cottontail is "true" rabbit. (And yes, I've had both, as well as
 domesticated rabbit -- jackrabbit had an unpleasantly gamey taste
 once I could divorce it from the pepper in the sausage, cottontail
 was o.k., and farm-raised bunny was the best of the three.)

To each his own.  Personally I LIKE the gamey taste.  Farm raised rabbit, to
my taste, is bland.  Chicken at least would be more tender.
Hares, Rabbits, and Squirrels are all omnivorous, and eat animal protein as
well as veggies.  They aren't supposed to taste as tame as vegetarian animal
flesh.
My favorite game taste was the squirrels we used to kill that lived in our
Pecan Orchard.  YUM!  fat, nut fed squirrel!  Hard to beat.

OOP recipe:

Fried Sqirrel

Take two young, fat squirrels
Skin and gut while still warm.
Cut into four pieces each (two leg quarters, two arm quarters)
Salt to taste
Soak in whole, fresh buttermilk for an hour.
Take a cup and a half of flour and add salt and pepper to taste
Put into a plastic bag, and shake the squirrel pieces in it to coat well.
Fry in deep hot fat until golden on the outside, and moist and tender on the
inside.
Test doneness by sticking a knife or fork into the meat at the thickest part
beside the bone.

Milk Gravy

Drain the oil used to fry the squirrel.
Into a heavy sauce pan place two tablespoons of the drippings.
Place on a hot fire.
Add two tablespoons of Corn Starch dissolved in 1/4 cup of cold water, and two
cups of milk, salt and pepper to taste
stir constantly until thick (it should pour, but barely)
(You may need more cornstarch, If it has not thickened before it comes to a
boil, add another T of cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water)

Serve over rice or grits, with a green vegetable on the side and homemade
biscuits
Serves four farm hands